Pedestrian accidents may leave plaintiffs with serious, life-altering injuries. While motorists may be relatively safe behind shields of metal and safety features, pedestrians are virtually defenseless against a range of vehicles. These include not only passenger vehicles, but also e-scooters, bicycles, trucks, and motorcycles. Those who have suffered injuries in pedestrian accidents may consider working alongside personal injury attorneys in Long Island.
How Can A Pedestrian Accident Attorney In Long Island Help Me?
Long Island is one of the most heavily-populated areas on the planet, and it is home to over 8 million people. It also has a very active economy with a GDP of almost $1 trillion. During any given day on Long Island, there are countless pedestrians walking the streets. Some are on their way to work, some are enjoying the fresh air, and others are viewing the wonderful sights as tourists. Unfortunately, all these individuals are at risk for pedestrian accidents.
Those who choose to work with pedestrian accident attorneys in Long Island after experiencing injuries can expect a number of important benefits:
- Informed Advice: A pedestrian accident attorney can begin providing advice to injured pedestrians from the moment of the very first consultation. During this initial meeting, injured victims are free to ask important questions they may have about the legal process. Lawyers can also assess the circumstances of the accident and recommend certain courses of action. Plaintiffs may be advised to either move forward with a personal injury lawsuit or pursue other forms of compensation. If they move forward, they can expect continued guidance from their attorney along every step.
- Evidence Gathering: Pedestrian accident attorneys in Long Island can also help victims gather the evidence and documentation they need as they pursue compensation. For example, an attorney might investigate the circumstances of the crash by contacting eyewitnesses, speaking to first responders, and perhaps collecting surveillance footage from the crash scene. Attorneys may also instruct plaintiffs to gather documentation that supports their injuries, their income, and other important factors.
- Negotiation Skills: An attorney typically brings strong negotiation skills to the table. These skills are important because most injury cases are settled out of court. This means that victims negotiate with insurers and their representatives behind closed doors with the goal of receiving a financial settlement. This settlement must cover the plaintiff’s total damages. A lawyer can fight for their client’s best interests, ensuring the settlement covers these damages.
- Trial Representation: Although most cases are settled out of court, there is always the chance that it may progress to a trial. This typically occurs when negotiations break down for whatever reason. If a trial is inevitable, a pedestrian accident attorney in Long Island can represent you in court. This may involve closing arguments, opening arguments, calling upon witnesses, cross-examining witnesses, presenting evidence, and so on.
We meticulously strategize every detail to ensure effective advocacy and solutions.
We seamlessly move into proactive execution, leveraging our strategy to advocate fiercely for your rights and interests.
We proceed with filing your case in court, where we advocate vigorously for your rights and pursue justice on your behalf.
Other Practice Area
What Kinds Of Damages Might An Injured Pedestrian Claim?The amount of compensation that an injured victim receives depends on their “damages.” In the legal world, damages are essentially losses that the victim suffers. These losses may be either financial or psychological in nature. Financial losses are called “economic damages,” while psychological losses are called “non-economic damages.” Examples of economic damages include:
- Missed past wages
- Missed future wages
- Medical expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of purpose
- Loss of consortium
- Pain & suffering
- Emotional distress
Filing A Wrongful Death Lawsuit After A Fatal Pedestrian Accident In Long Island
Because pedestrians have no protection against impacts from vehicles, these accidents are often fatal. Family members must then deal with a range of issues, including unpaid medical expenses, missed future wages, funeral expenses, and the psychological impact of losing a loved one.
Only certain family members are allowed to file wrongful death lawsuits. Those who file these lawsuits are typically spouses, children, or parents of the deceased pedestrian. A spouse may need to file this lawsuit to help support surviving children, especially if the deceased victim acted as the primary wage earner in the family. A wrongful death lawsuit can provide compensation for the wages that a family member would have earned in the future.
Deceased victims may also leave behind considerable medical expenses. In many cases, pedestrian victims are airlifted to nearby hospitals, where they receive extensive life-saving treatment before their eventual deaths. Family members must pay these medical expenses, even if life-saving treatment was not successful. This is another reason why wrongful death lawsuits may be important after a fatal pedestrian accident.
Suing For Head Injuries After A Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians may suffer head injuries after being struck by vehicles. These head injuries may leave them with a number of issues, including:
- Hematomas (brain bleeds)
- Brain damage
- Skull fractures
- Personality changes
- Mental health issues
- Cognitive issues
- Motor control issues
Note that almost any vehicle is capable of causing head injuries to pedestrians. This includes e-scooters, bicycles, and motorcycles. Even though these vehicles are not as heavy as passenger cars, they are still capable of throwing a pedestrian onto the sidewalk.
What Can A Pedestrian Accident Attorney Do For Me In Long Island?
If you have been searching for an experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Long Island, look no further than the Law Office of Frank A. Cetero. Over the years, we have assisted numerous injured plaintiffs throughout Long Island, including those who have been harmed by pedestrian accidents.
We know that these accidents can leave victims with serious disabilities and life-altering injuries, not to mention psychological trauma. To explore your options for compensation, be sure to book your consultation today.
Frequently Asked Questions !!
Seek medical help, report the incident to the authorities, and gather witness information.
Statutes of limitations vary by location, but it’s crucial to act promptly to ensure you meet deadlines.
Yes, compensation may cover medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Consulting a lawyer can help you understand your rights and pursue appropriate legal action for your injuries and losses.
Still Have Questions ?
Don’t hesitate to reach out – we’re here to provide clarity and guidance every step of the way.